Tuesday 19 July 2005

Roman Polanski finally admits 'I was wrong'

Roman Polanski has finally admitted he was wrong to have committed statutory rape all those years ago, before fleeing for France with a warrant for his arrest "on charges of luring a 13-year-old girl to the home of Jack Nicholson under the pretext of photographing her, then drugging and raping her." No sign of him intending to return to face the music however. Reporting on a trial in which Polanski is presently involved The Times reports:
Asked about charges he may face in the US, the Polish director told the court today: "As far as those events are concerned, I would not even start to justify myself. What I did was wrong and I don’t see why I should go back to this for the purposes of this trial."
Polanski is still marooned in France, unwilling to travel for fear of arrest on these charges. I can't say I've ever been too sympathetic to his plight myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Agreed. Not ok by anyone's standards. Does France not have an extradition treaty with the US? If so, how has he managed not to be extradicted thus far?