Thursday 15 September 2005

Won't get fooled again

NZ Pundit and DPF are both calling for this banner to be waved boldly and strongly over all the sites of the VWRC to celebrate Super Saturday.

Unfortunately, for reasons well-expressed here and here, what I hear when I see that banner is not the celebratory sounds of 'Happy Days are Here Again,' but instead the warning screams of 'Won't Get Fooled Again.'

There's nothing in the streets
Looks any different to me
And the slogans are replaced, by-the-bye
And the parting on the left
Is now a parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again
Don't get fooled again
No, no!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'll bite. :) You're correct in essentials, of course. But as we're not going to go from A-Z in 2 seconds, I'd be lying if I didn't say that I'll feel much less crapful if/when Brash wins on Sat as opposed to Clark & co. And I'll consider it my lib duty to go straight to work on him! I'm an optimist; bring it on! ps: I saw The Who play San Francisco in '89; 25th anni of the TKAA. Superb. (John Entwistle was greyer than Barbara Bush!)

Rick said...

(May he rest in peace)

It's like cross-training. We've been doing the same exercises over the Left side of the gym for six years. Now we'll be able to exercise some different muscles by working over some of the equipment presented by the Right. A change is as good as a holiday- so bring on the new blue punching bag and put the red one away for latter.

Lots of different issues characterise each side, regime change helps keep up your libertarian fitness!

Duncan Bayne said...

+1 to what Sus said.

I guess the difference between Labour & National is that we could influence the latter towards a more Libertarian approach, but not the former.

Perhaps the boxing gloves for the Red punching bag, but a pair of nice white gloves to push the blue bag around with - similar to those warn by train-packers in Japan.