Sunday 28 May 2006

'Pursuit' by Michael Newberry

'Pursuit' by Michael Newberry, from 1984.

Just who is pursuing whom, and exactly what? Perhaps the artist's explanation might help.
With a passion bordering on insane somnambulism I poured everything I had into pursuing the furthest reaches of my art. It was wild. I worked 16 hours a day for six months, somewhere I remember the crunch of ice outside under my shoes.

I worked to integrate: the fantastic dramatic spotlight affect of Rembrandt; the wet-clothe technique of ancient Greek sculptures; the romantic themes of Delacroix; and the pure vibrant contrasting colors of the Impressionists (the painting has no black).

I made more studies than I can remember. And it slowly took form. Once, for this piece, I went into Wall Street late at night to make a pastel color study of the granite wall of a skyscraper; got very curious looks from a patrol...

Pursuit is the work I am most proud of.
LINKS: Pursuit - RomanticRealism.Net

TAGS: Art, Objectivism

1 comment:

Paula said...

Interesting painting. I put Princess Leonilla up on my blog last night.