Wednesday 26 July 2006

Ten bands, fifteen questions

I found this at Paula's place. The first step is to write down 10 bands quickly--the first ten off the top of your head. Mine are:

Velvet Undergound
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
The Stranglers
Manic Street Preachers
Hello Sailor
Patti Smith Group
Dr Feelgood
Pixies
Tall Dwarfs
King Crimson

Then, there's the questions...

1. What was the first song you ever heard by 6? 'Gloria'

2. What is your favourite album of 8? 'Bossanova'

3. What is your favourite lyric of 5?"Give me coffee, cigarettes, and freedom from oppression."

4. How many times have you seen 4 live? Twice. London Astoria, 1993. Two nights. Just before Richey disappeared. :-(

5. What is your favourite song by 7? 'Milk and Alcohol'

6. Is there a song of 3 that makes you sad? 'Don't Bring Harry'

7.What is your favourite lyric of 9? "Woke up this morning with those post-modern deconstructivist blues..."

8. What is your favourite song by 1? 'Sweet Jane'

9. How did you get into 8? I was introduced by a friend. They appeared just as rock music was overwhelmed with synths and bubble gum, and I was listening to more and more opera. :-)

10. What is your favourite song by 4? 'You Love Us!'

11. How many times have you seen 1 live? Twice. In London. 1993. Right place, right time. Made the most of it. Heard about the London shows the night before tickets went on sale, and began queuing almost immediately.

12. What is a good memory concerning 2? Walking back home to my flat in Brixton every day listening to 'Let Love In' on my walkman, where I used to pass by a 'Let Love In' poster on the Railton Rd that for some months remained miraculously un-vandalised. I used to smile at that every day. I used to have a rule that if 'Thirsty Dog' was playing as I passed a pub I would stop in for a drink.

13. Is there a song by 2 that makes you sad? ! Talk about being spoiled for choice! How about 'Into My Arms'? Or having the walkman play 'Thirsty Dog' just after I'd passed a pub?

14. What is your favourite song of 6? 'Because the Night.' Great song. Deservedly a hit.

15. How did you become a fan of 10? Introduced by a friend at school who had a musical older brother whose record collection we used to, ah, borrow occasionally. 'Court of the Crimson King' turned up to eleven is not something you forget in a hurry.

RELATED: Music

No comments: