Monday 8 December 2008

“One of the most interesting and versatile words in the English language today”

I’ve been told I swear too fucking much.  (Parenthetical question: is that truly possible)?

This assumes that there’s something wrong with words like “fuck.”  I don’t agree.  I’m with George Carlin:  I think it’s one of “the most interesting and versatile words in the English language today.”  Sure, Eskimos might have twenty-seven fucking words to describe snow, but this one word can be used in at least twenty-seven different ways!  No wonder it’s so fucking popular:

[Hat tip Sport Review for reminding me about this clip.]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The kind of people who get upset about "bad words" are the same ones who get hysterical about all sorts of other things that they can't be bothered actually thinking about. Not much you're going to be able to do about it unfortunately.

Anonymous said...

PC, earlier this year I had what some might call an epiphany of sorts and casually mentioned to my sister that I was swearing too much & was toying with the idea of trying to consciously not do it.

There was a very long pause at the end of the line, followed by the most derisive of snorts and .. "Oh, what the fuck's got into you?!"

She was right. I pulled myself together straight away. Can't imagine what I was thinking ...

:)

Peter Cresswell said...

Oh gawd. You had me reaching for the Bullshit Bingo when I saw "epiphany." And I expected the worst.

Fortunately, my concern was misplaced. :-)

How could anyone not swear when looking at the toerags who've taken it upon themselves to run our lives?

Anonymous said...

"How could anyone not swear when looking at the toerags who've taken it upon themselves to run our lives?"

Indeed. They deserve the very best profanity. Nothing less.