Monday 10 August 2009

Blog rankings [update 2]

Tim Selwyn has released the blog rankings for NZ political blogs for June, at least for the Top 20 that he measures,and promises to have the figures for July out next week.

Big movers are Whale Oil up six to four; Cactus Kate up three to six; the Fairfacts-less No Minister heads down two to seven, the Dim Post down two to eight, No Right Turn down two to nine, and the Greens’ Frog Blog continues its slide, down three to eleven.

Into the twenty with a bullet comes Christian blog Open Parachute at twenty, the surprisingly good Labour Party MPs’ blog Red Alert, and the insanely leftist Kiwipolitico – which means, unfortunately that both of the economics blogs The Visible Hand and Eric Crampton’s Offsetting Behaviour blog slip out of the twenty.

Anyway, why not head over and check out any blogs you’ve been missing out on – and while you’re there ask Tim why Lindsay Perigo’s SOLO group blog has still not made an appearance in the blog rankings, given that by my rudimentary calculations it would almost definitely be in the top five.

UPDATE:  Lord Adolph of No Minister tells me “Fairfacts left NoMinister on July 24th,” so this survey would include the two-posts-per-day he’d been restricted to in June.

UPDATE 2:  And two more corrections from my above descriptions:

  • Kiwipolitico tell me they’re not "insanely leftist"  at all. "Non-partisan centre-Left" or Social Democratic might be a fairer characterisation,” they say.
  • And Ken from Open Parachute laughs at the idea he’s running a Christian blog.  “My blog Open Parachute is not Christian,” he says, “quite the opposite. It is science-based - with comments on science, philosophy, religion and human rights.”  Sorry Ken.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I expect the reason SOLO does not make an appearance is because few visitors to the site are from New Zealand and virtually all of those are members.

It is very much an American site these days.

ziggy said...

Kiwipolitico "insanely leftist?" That is a bit hysterical of you PC. "Non-partisan centre-Left" or Social Democratic might be a fairer characterisation.

Lew said...

Ziggy, errors of this sort are inevitable among those who reflexively append 'ist' every time they see the word 'social'.

L

Adolf Fiinkensein said...

Fairfacts left NoMinister on July 24th. How much are you paying your fact checkers?

Paul Tutor Jones said...

"I expect the reason SOLO does not make an appearance is because few visitors to the site are from New Zealand and virtually all of those are members."

I suspect the reason is that every time I go there it's the same handful of assholes arguing about some obscure objectivist schism. Hardly the sort of riveting stuff which is going to top the charts. In some ways it's like reading 'the standard' except instead of simply reflexively moaning about National, they reflexively moan about everything.

Peter Cresswell said...

"errors of this sort are inevitable among those who reflexively append 'ist' every time they see the word 'social'"

I'll think about that next time I'm doing some social drinking. :-)

Peter Cresswell said...

"I expect the reason SOLO does not make an appearance is because few visitors to the site are from New Zealand . . ."

Actually, the reason Tim gave was that he was going "to think about" its inclusion. That was over a year ago now.

"I suspect the reason is that every time I go there it's . . . hardly the sort of riveting stuff which is going to top the charts."

Well, as far as charts go, Night City Trader is correct to say that at just under 50% the majority of readers are now American, BUT over 25% still come from NZ -- and Auckland is still the city where most of SOLO's readers can be found.

And as far as readership figures themselves go, the site's contents and conversations are certainly riveting enough to produce figures putting SOLO in the top five of the charts.

Peter Cresswell said...

"Fairfacts left NoMinister on July 24th. How much are you paying your fact checkers?"

They get half of everything I get.

Anonymous said...

According to Alexa.com solopassion is ranked 24,967th in NZ and only 1.3% of visitors are from NZ.

If you assume there are about a dozen New Zealanders who are members regularly visiting the site each day, or several times per day, it tends to confirm my contention solopassion.com gets very few NZers bothering to visit.

Peter, where do you get 25% from?!?!

Peter Cresswell said...

Alexa is worthless.

The figures above are from Google Analytics.

The Tomahawk Kid said...

Congratulations NOTPC - Number 3 is a fine achievement

I think you will have to send out party invitations when you make it to number one.

Fantastic work - You really do have an interesting, educational and informative blog - thanks

Ken said...

I suppose I should be angrily upset - but I can't help giggling about it. My blog Open Parachute Visit Site is not Christian - quite the opposite. It is science-based - with comments on science, philosophy, religion and human rights.

Mind you, I think I might pop over to MandM and ask for my "top 10 Christian Blogs" badge on this recommendation!

Peter Cresswell said...

Sorry Ken. My mistake. I've amended the description on the front page -- and clearly I should go and spend some time there. :-)