Sunday 6 September 2009

Friends working hard

I love seeing what creative friends have been up to.

  • Playwright Vanessa Rhodes has a new play that opened last night at Wellington’s Circa Theatre, ‘Where Are You My Only One,’ billed as “a bittersweet comedy for anyone with a romantic streak: -- an unconventional love story between a secretary from the heart of Moscow with a mother who would try the patience of a saint, and a lonely Waikato farmer whose wife has left him for another bloke.  It looks like a lot of fun:

    • Painter friend Mark Wooller’s been working hard, and it was fun hearing about his new work when he call in on Friday.  Unfortunately, you can’t see any of it at either his blog or his website.  Yet.
    • And Whangarei clay artist Helen Hughes has been busy too, working on a new series of her wonderfully small exuberant dancing figures.  I was lucky to be presented with this one.  (I fear my quick photos don’t do her justice.)

    Hughes-ToDance001

    Hughes-ToDance003

    Hughes-ToDance004 

    I love seeing what creative friends have been up to.

    Oh, and I’ve been working on a couple of things myself – here’s one, for a site in Mt Eden:

    Charlton-DrivewaySketch001

    Charlton-Section - Copy

    8 comments:

    Berry said...

    Interesting, I don't think you'll get away with that cut under the garage though. Post a few plans, I'd like to see what direction that section sits in.

    Peter Cresswell said...

    "I don't think you'll get away with that cut under the garage though."

    Oooh, my engineer and I are pretty confident. :-)

    Berry said...

    Of course, nothing that a bit of retaining wall can't fix.....
    I like the retro drawing style, what are you using, Archicad and a couple of felts/pencils?

    sagenz said...

    wow - I like that cross section. That house will have the best al around natural lighting on the slope. I can think of one or two places that would benefit from a similar approach

    twr said...

    They don't look like MGs in the garage...

    Falafulu Fisi said...

    Can you view Eden Park from the top of that house?

    Peter Cresswell said...

    BEZ: Yep, Archicad and coloured pencils. "Retro"?

    Retaining walls?! You should see the cliff-face we're building on. :-)

    SAGE: Thanks mate. I love the idea of standing there in the bottom of the house and being able to be bathed in light -- and to look up and see virtually the whole site. Should be more of it. :-)

    TWR: Oops!

    FF: Yes, I do believe you can. A selling point for 2011 you think?

    Clunking Fist said...

    "I can think of one or two places that would benefit from a similar approach"

    North Wellington and south Wellington to name just two.


    "They don't look like MGs in the garage..."
    Quite clearly the car on our left is the Rover MG ZT.
    http://www.m-99.co.uk/Car_Bodykits/MG_ZT/mg_zt.html

    (Okay, I know that doesn't count...)