Monday 14 February 2011

History’s biggest bastard

maofaminebook I don’t know about you, but  I’m constantly amazed at the frequency with which Chinese friends and acquaintances use words to describe Mao ZeDong like “great,” “heroic,” and “he saved China”—when you and I would be more inclined to use words like “murderer,” “thug,” “butcher,” or “history’s biggest bastard.”

Frank Dikötter [via Bryan Caplan] reminds us that instead of all those pictures of Mao that are still hung up around China, the fat genocidal megalomaniac should instead have been hung himself by the nearest lamp post, and at the earliest opportunity.

Mao enslaved hundreds of millions, and killed by the tens of millions.  At least 45 million by forced starvation. At least 2.5 million beaten or tortured to death.  That’s death both by direct order and by depraved indifference.

That people still call this stain on the twentieth-century a hero some thirty-four years after his death is a tragic indication of how well state indoctrination does its job.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Che Guevara thought he (Mao)was a piker. If the Left's hero had been in charge there would then be an even bigger bastard. Che would have approved of Pol Pot ~ much more politically correct.
Peter

Anonymous said...

Recently I was down at the local Chinese takeaways and as they speak pretty good English and business was light I asked the lady at the counter what she thought of the present Chinese government. She responded that she didn't know much about them but then after a pause and with no prompting from me added that Mao was the best Chinese leader ever. This youngish lady would have been born after Mao's death. Ian

Shane Pleasance said...

Wasn't he the little charmer?

However, I meet people who mourn the passing leadership of Helen Clark.
Eddie Izzard might describe 'degrees of bastardness'.

American Extremist said...

I'm utterly dumbfounded by people who wear shirts with these bastards' faces on them. Mao, Che, etc. But I'm even more dumbfounded when they don't realize why I'm dumbfounded.

A guy wearing a Che T-shirt recently asked me if he could have a cigarette. When I told him that I don't voluntarily give anything to people who glorify mass murdering buffoons (my ready-made reply to such people) his expression said he had no clue what I was talking about. I actually had to inform him that Che most likely would have killed him for whatever he was listening to on his i-pod, he looked at me like I was talking crazy. Idiots. :/